Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition
Manufacturer: Fantasy Flight Games
Materials: Oak Bark; Moss; Mod Podge; ;
Paints: Citadel; black acrylic primer (Wilco); hair spray;
Tools: Brushes (varied sizes); Dry brushes (varied sizes); Pocket knife; Modelling knife;
Fantasy Flight Games game description says: “Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition is a board game in which one player takes on the role of the treacherous overlord, and up to four other players take on the roles of courageous heroes. During each game, the heroes embark on quests and venture into dangerous caves, ancient ruins, dark dungeons, and cursed forests to battle monsters, earn riches, and attempt to stop the overlord from carrying out his vile plot.
Featuring double-sided modular board pieces, countless hero and skill combinations, and an immersive story-driven campaign, Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition transports heroes to a vibrant fantasy realm where they must stand together against an ancient evil.”
Best part of board games, except playing, is painting it’s minis. At the beginning we (me and my wife) painted a few miniatures, tweak some of it’s bases but effect was not spectacular and than there was no time to carry on with others. So after two years break from painting, modelling etc. I’ve decided to give it another go – few days ago. First choice went to Shadow Dragon. I must admit it was a bit hard to extract figure from it’s original base as was moulded into it. Freezer and sharp pocket knife came handy. Luckily few days before I’ve found some old Oak bark lying in the park (it went into the pocket), after a few little cuts it had ideal size for our dragon.
So bark was primed with black acrylic paint, after it get dry I’ve started dry brushing to give it more stone look like. Unfortunately didn’t grab any photos during process (I’m so absorbed when painting that I always forget to take photos of the process).
After dry brushing I’ve added some citadel washes – black and brown to improve shadows and highlights on my base. Last step was to add dried moss and spray everything with three layers of hair spray to seal everything.
Than time came for Dragon itself. Miniature was primed with black acrylic paint and than started to work for the first time with colour blending (again forgot to grab pictures). Final colour sealing done with hair spray – three layers.